Are you looking for a technical platform for your digital image and object collection?
The provision of the technical infrastructure for publishing and archiving digital image and object collections in Open Access is one of the services of Heidelberg University Library for arthistoricum.net. The service is aimed at art scholars worldwide.
Particularly in the rapidly developing digital humanities, image data and multimedia objects are among the most important tools. With heidICON, arthistoricum.net provides a digital and interdisciplinary image and multimedia repository that is specially tailored to the requirements of these file formats. The software easydb (version 5) from Programmfabrik GmbH, Berlin is used.
The hierarchical and object-oriented data management is aimed at a description of cultural assets and enables a differentiated, event-based deep exploration. The structure of the data model is based on the XML schema LIDO (Lightweight Information Describing Objects), an XML-based application of CIDOC CRM, which was developed by the LIDO Working Group of the International Committee for Documentation (ICOM).
With heidICON it is possible to assign DOIs and persistent URIs at the data record level. The database offers interoperability and reusability through IIIF (International Image Interoperability Framework) and with the integration of controlled vocabulary and norm data (such as GND, GeoNames, daiGazetteer) central linked open data principles are fulfilled. All functions in heidICON can be controlled via a comprehensive programming interface (API).
Here is a selection of collections that use heidICON as a publication platform
- Architektur der Europäischen Renaissance (under construction)
- Camera Work (under construction)
- Miniaturen aus der Bibliotheca Palatina
- Visualisierungen Lengyel Toulouse
- Anatomische Illustrationen
- Einblattdrucke der UB Heidelberg
- Graphische Sammlung der UB Heidelberg
- Befestigte Kirchenanlagen, Städte und Dörfer in Deutschland
Check Image Resources to find further projects and image collections, which are archived and published in heidICON, among others.
Image and object collections with a "shop window"
Image and object collections with a "shop window":
- Werkverzeichnis Bernhard Vogler
- Werkverzeichnis Bernhard Vogler (integrated into the website of the Institute of Modern Art Nuremberg)
- Werkverzeichnis Georg Jakob Best
- Martin Graßnick Archiv der TU Kaiserslautern
Publications in preparation:
- Anton Raphael Mengs
- Johannes Itten
- ABK Stuttgart Plakatsammlung
- Werkverzeichnis Eva Zippel
- Graphische Sammlung des Kurpfälzischen Museums
- Studentenkarzer Heidelberg
We offer an introduction to the use and functionalities of heidICON on site at Heidelberg University Library.
If you are interested in the provision and archiving of existing digital image collections or are currently in the planning phase of a project, please contact us!
Dr. Maria Effinger
Tel.: +49 62 21 54 35 61